get to know us: q's for ashley
1) While social distancing, what major themes keep showing up for you?
Expectations: letting go of ideals of and for others/myself.
Power: remembering how powerful our minds are! And also how powerful we are when we come together as one to achieve a common goal.
Creativity: I can’t and wouldn’t shut this off; I tried and it’s my fuel for life.
2) If you were gifted one million dollars today, what would you do with the money?
If you would have asked me this before March I feel that my answers would have been only slightly different from now. Yes, a million dollars is a lot of money, but as we’ve seen in the past few months there are things that money can’t buy. I would invest the money in a few different companies that align with my passions of sustainability, fashion, children and mental health.
I’d also buy some land by the ocean as well as get my muffler reattached (because it’s currently about to fall off).
3) If you could have a free billboard visible from the most trafficked highways in the world and you could put absolutely anything on it, what would it say?
Love is love is love is love is love…
4) Describe your perfect day. Where would you go? What would you eat? Who would be there with you? What would you do?
I’d take my sister to Paris. We’d stay in the 3rd arrondissement, because that’s my favorite and I know she’s like it too. I’d show her all of the amazing little vintage shops. We’d find our way over to Astler de Villatte where they have the best incense. Then we’d eat at one of the super trendy cafes in Pigal and have an impromptu photoshoot on the rainbow basketball court right up the street. We’d eat all of the pastries and drink all of the tea. Later in the evening around 10, because things don’t get busy on the weekends until 2am, she’d pick a place for dinner and get all dressed up. After staying out far too late and drinking more wine than one should, I’d get us an Uber and she’d fall asleep on my shoulder on our way back to the flat. The next day we’d get on the train and I’d take her to the vintage warehouse where I made some new friends and she’d help me pick out things to bring back for the store.
But my perfect day can only happen in my mind because in March 2018, my little sister, Arielle, took her own life. I was able to put her ashes in the river so she could travel with me wherever I go, but before she died, taking her to France was one of my dreams.
5) What is your favorite (personal) vintage piece in your history of treasure hunting?
We’ll go back to when I first started my vintage adventure 15 years ago. It was my grandma’s: a matching set from the 1980’s and it was bright red with white pin dots. Ruffled shoulders. Wide leg pants.
My current favorite is my pair of bull riding overalls. They have red stripes down the sides of the legs and crochet patches I sewed on terribly and a few custom embroidery sayings. And my GMC jumpsuit. And my Valentino sparkle “business” set.
6) What songs are you listening to on repeat right now?
Thinking of You by Lord Echo
Elixir by Tourist
Dolan by Vendredi Sur Me
The new Caribou album
Anything by FKATwigs & Lykke Li and also any 80’s R&B
7) Have you gained a new sense of appreciation for anything during this period of social distancing? If so, what is it and why?
Not that I took my travel for granted when I was able, but this has helped me appreciate where I’ve been. I’ve been looking at all of the videos and photos from my adventures and I feel really grateful.
8) If you could pick any point in history and in any location to be reborn into, when and where would you incarnate? Why?
Currently, I feel I incarnated where I need to be. I feel all points in history are important so I don’t have one specific time/place. But maybe back to when the Ming dynasty ruled China. Or any time when the people were trying to liberate themselves.
9) What is your favorite recipe to cook or bake?
My favorite thing I’ve ever cooked was falafel with Tahini sauce. Chickpeas never tasted so good! Also, while I’ve never made this, I’d love to make an angel food cake because it’s my favorite.
10) When we are able, what is the next new travel destination on your list?
Bali. Egypt. India.